Monday, January 28, 2008
Sin and Salvation
Almost missed January. Call it recovery time from the Holidays. Damn, I'm always making excuses for late posting.
Couple of quick hits before the music:
Over at Barstool Mountain, we're back up with a whole vat-full of Wynonie Harris! Grab 'em with a cold one.
Rev Frost is back! Hallelujah!
Special treat for all y'all today, then, in honor of Rev. Frost.
It's often said that all art is the search for god. While that may be true for some forms of artistry, we'd like to think that the good ole devil maintains a stake in the proceedings too. Without sin, where would the salvation be, after all? It's the classic conflict, innit?
Well, we're not exactly theologians here at the Mountain, but we know what we like. A little vice, a little sex, a little sip, a little glory hallelujah. And all shall be well.
So please enjoy the following mix (the first of many?) made especially for...you, sinner and saint.
Next post will a tribute to one of the few perfect albums ever made.
Mp3 link follows track listing.
The Big Rock Candy Mountain Sin and Salvation Show Vol. 1
1. Aunt Molly (Billy Emerson)
2. Live The Life (Oblivians w/ Mr. Quintron)
3. Get Behind Me Satan and Push (Bille Jo Spears)
4. Woke Up This Morning (With My Mind On Jesus) (Blind Roosevelt Graves)
5. Who Threw The Whiskey In The Well (Wynonie Harris)
6. When The Saints Go Marching In (Papa Lightfoot)
7. Whiskey Heaven (Fats Domino)
8. Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On (Leonard Cohen w/ Bob Dylan and Allen Ginsberg)
9. Take The Devil Out Of Me (George Jones)
10. Slipping and Drinking (Tom House)
11. The Lord Knows I'm Drinking (Cal Smith)
12. Beer Drinking Christians (Bobby Bare and Lacy Dalton)
13. Didn't It Rain (Evelyn Freeman)
14. Down To The River To Pray (BigRock mix) (Alison Krauss)
15. Tight Like That (Little Axe)
16. It Must Have Been The Devil (Otis Spann)
17. Devil Do (Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs)
18. Wrestling With Satan (Lightning Beat-Man)
19. The Devil Gets His Due (Loretta Lynn)
20. Date To Church (Replacements w/ Tom Waits)
21. I'm Gonna Move In The Room Upstairs (Rev. Louis Overstreet)
22. Oh Happy Day (The Edwin Hawkins Singers)
The Big Rock Candy Mountain Sin and Salvation Show (mp3)
Please support your local den of iniquity on Saturday and your local house of holiness on Sunday.