Monday, May 23, 2005

I'm Not From Here




First Fringe Rock guest post today. I'll let John introduce himself below. Just a quick maintenance note from me. The poll below (a few entries down) is still active, and numbers 1-3 seem pretty well set. But there's a 7-way tie for numbers 4 and 5. Yoiks. So if you haven't voted, do so. If you already have...well, shit, vote again. This is Chicago, we even encourage dead folks to have their say.

Now, without further ado, take it away, John:


I'm John (from Milw) and Mr. Big Rock has granted me the honor and privilege to enter his bar room and do a guest post. I am a 41 year old musically obsessed guy who lives in a suburb of Milwaukee. As a true Wisconsinite, I love the Packers, Beer (yes the stereotype is true, though I can take or leave cheese) and Dave Dudley.
My most recent music purchases were the new Shooter Jennings and Van
Morrison CD's.

Following in the footsteps of a famous father can be a tall and daunting task. Not only are you dealing with the real or perceived expectations of the father, but you have the added bonus of dealing with the fandom's expectation. A no win situation.

I believe my nominee for the fringe HOF, James McMurtry has lived up to and surpassed all expectations. For the uninitiated, James McMurtry's father is Larry McMurtry, author of the Pulitzer Prize winning Lonesome Dove. Since releasing his first album in 1989, James has become one of America's great singer/songwriters. His songs tell the stories of everyman. He touches on life's pleasures and pains. As evidenced by his live album (Live In August Three), he is not some pretentious snooze-fest coffee house performer; his songs have a raw energy that will kick your ass.

Below are a couple of songs for your listening pleasure. Also, as an added bonus visit his web-site for a download off of his upcoming album.
Feed the family, pay the bills and if there is anything left, go out and buy a James McMurtry album. You will not be disappointed.

James McMurtry: I'm Not From Here (mp3)

James McMurtry: Levelland (mp3)



1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good to see James McMurtry getting some love. I agree with everything you said.