Thursday, May 19, 2005

What the El




Quick detour today from Pappys and their young 'uns. Feller named Waylon and his offspring tomorrow. First guest post on Monday.

But, today, a little number in honor of Chicago, and my new apartment.

She Who Is Most Beloved and I have yet to install the blinds in our big bay window. What this means, of course, is that the whole damn world is in our business. Whoopee. Guess that's what happens when you move further in to, rather than out of, the big big city. Just glad we don't live next to an El line. Anybody got an electric screwdriver?

Chicago's Elevated trains are a national landmark. Perhaps even world famous. The Chicago Transit Authority has mismanaged itself in a deep budget hole, and now threatens to cut services and raise fares. As an avowed public transportation user and supporter, I'm among a large amount of extremely pissed off individuals.

What the hell do these things have to do with each other? Well, check out this little tune by old timey 'Opry stalwart Lew Childre.

Lew Childre: Riding the Elevated Train (mp3)

Blah Blah Blah...shop locally. Take public transportation if you can.

1 comment:

countrygrrl said...

great track...enjoyed it immensely..hope you have managed to get your blinds up..I always like looking in folks windows when I pass...so I guess I would have looked in yours!!