Monday, October 25, 2004


play me a truck drivin' man


Music is at the bottom of the post.

Damn, I'm a slacker. I'm gonna blame it on the Baseball playoffs. From rooting for the downfall of the Evil Empire (mission accomplished) to trying to figger out whether I wanted the Astros (Texas=bad) or the Cardinals (Cubs arch-nemesis, beside themselves) to lose to the Sox in the Series, I've been spending way too much time in front of the television. No game today. Did anyone notice that when Curt Schilling was interviewed last nite after the game, he was wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers (my number one all time favorite team) hat? Since the hometown Patriots are playing the Steelers next Sunday, I'm wondering what kind of statement Mr. Schilling was making, and whether he's taken any kind of shit for it today.

Well, most of you aren't here for sports.

Found a fascinating website for these trying and, frankly, increasingly annoying election times. If you go here you'll get a complete rundown of all candidates running for president. It ranges from the Big Two Idiots to a whole slew of 3rd party candidates. The third party section is fascinating, running the gamut from the ridiculous and downright scary (look for Jack Grimes of the United Facist Union and Earl Dodge of the Prohibition Party, neither of which deserve a link) to individuals who are running merely to get their ideas across. I think my favorite find is that Leonard Peltier is running on the Peace and Freedom Party ticket. So many choices, so little time. Smirkers will be happy to know that, apparently, I may not be able to exercise my right to fill in a write-in candidate here in Illinois. If this is indeed an actuality, well....let's just say I'm gonna go vote, but I'm not voting for Bush or Kerry. Draw your own conclusions. (Feel free to express how stupid I am in the comments field. I can take it. Be warned though, you probably won't offer any new argument I haven't heard. Peace loving Kerry voters can get pretty violent when folks don't goosestep to their desires. There is no such thing as a "lesser evil." )

Today, since I'm a mothertrucker, I'm going to take John from TofuHut's advice/request and put a smidgen of my rather ridiculously large truck song collection up for your listening enjoyment.

I'm not sure what it is about trucking music that inspires me so. Perhaps "inspires" isn't quite the right word, as I have no desire to actully be a trucker. It's a strange world the poets of the 18 wheelers sing about, all coffee, white lines, cb's, diners, pills, and an occasional six pack to go. Dave Dudley, the King, never rode a truck professionally, nor did most of his compatriots. But there it is, the myth of the open road laid bare (Bobby?), the boom chicka boom and chug guitar, the voice of the last bandits of the 60's and 70's. There's a ton of compilations out there, but for those who like their alt-country a little more polished, I'd recommend Diesel Only's Rig Rock Deluxe collection, which features updated covers by the likes of Steve Earle, Son Volt, BR549, Jon Langford, Junior Brown, and a host of yr favorite modern twangers. If you like what you hear, there's fine albums to be found in Salvation Army's across this great land of ours. I've got a ton more of these, so this might be a weekly/biweekly thing if interest exists. Let me know. Please visit the links at the bottom of the page for more info.

MP3's:

Del Reeves: Lookin' at the World Through a Windshield (mp3)

Red Sovine: Truck Drivin' Son of a Gun (mp3)

Dave Dudley: I've Been Everywhere (mp3)

Dave Dudley: Girl on the Billboard (mp3)

CW McCall: Old Home Filler Up Keep On Truckin' Cafe (mp3)

(Click on song...Drive over to the Briefcase...Fill up from there)

More Info:

Visit and learn more about Del Reeves

Visit and learn more about Red Simpson

Visit and learn more about Dave Dudley

Visit and learn more about the "mysterious" CW McCall

Visit The Virtual Truck Route


3 comments:

John said...

MMMMMM... trucker goodness!

Anonymous said...

That's a big 10-4 on the post.
Nothing like a little truckin' music to get you going on a Monday.
If you post more truckin' songs in the future, how about the Red Simpson classic "I Got A Beaver On My Lap and A Bear On My Tail". Also, with the X-mas season fast approaching, there are some great truckin' x-mas tunes.
On a different note, I would also be interested in you posting some of your favorite drinkin' songs.
Thanks for the great blog,
John (from Milw)

Brian K Reese said...

Thank you John and John (add one more and you've got a jon langford side project). Thy wishes are my command. once baseball's over look for a weekly trucking post...truckin' thursdays sounds good. and, yes, starting on thanksgiving we're going daily christmas songs, of which i've already got christmas trucking songs set aside. watch for it.