Saturday, December 14, 2013
Getting closer to Christmas, and the birth of baby Jesus (aka Shane MacGowan). We're under a blanket of snow, with more coming...what could be more festive!!!!
We got a Santa's grab bag of special presents for y'all today, including a re-post of a mix from years past (and thanks again to all who helped us out). Oh, and Santa Claus can be whatever damn nationality he wants...fuck the haters, it's all about the love, baby!
A Western Swing tune kicks us off, courtesy of the legendary Bob Wills! What could be better? Well, stick around...
Huey "Piano" Smith brings the old school R'n'B , rollicking and horn-fueled! How do we follow that up? Well, with the most perfect pop band on the planet, The dB's, we raise the stakes, a perfectly beautiful holiday meditation. Then, it's J&M Chain inspired Raveonettes with a feedback/honey kissed ode to Holiday love gone missing.
Rounding it out, a couple of hillbilly'n' psych inspired tales of loneliness, with sandy grit in lieu of snow. Both are "traveling songs". Jim White is stuck in a Greyhound station, with lost love. And Frontier Ruckus are braving the snow on Xmas Eve, banjo-driven wintry night, full of AM crackle and reflection.
And, as a bonus...we're re-posting a classic Xmas mix we made lo these many moons ago (comprising previously posted tunes). If y'all haven't heard it yet, grab it now!!! And thank all of our regular visitors for helping us recover! Look for it way at the bottom...You are the very air we breathe...
Santa's Coming With a Sleigh Full of Baggage!
Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys: Santa's On His Way (mp3)
Huey "Piano" Smith: Rock 'n' Roll Santa Claus (mp3)
The dB's: Home For the Holidays (mp3)
The Raveonettes: Christmas Ghosts (mp3)
Jim White: Christmas Day (mp3)
Frontier Ruckus: Christmas Eve, Driving Home (mp3)
Bonus Xmas post...A classic mix guaranteed to keep yr party jumpin'!
A Big Rock Candy Happy Hour Christmas
1. Poor Mr. Santa (Andre Williams)
2. Trim Your Tree (Jimmy Butler)
3. Mama's Twistin' With Santa (Mark Anthony)
4. Santa Looked A lot Like Daddy (Buck Owens)
5. Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus (George Jones and Tammy Wynette)
6. Yulesville (Ed "Kooky" Byrnes)
7. Sometimes Santa Claus Is Brown (El Vez)
8. Santa Never Comes To The Ghetto (Yellowman)
9. Santa's Coming In a Big Old Truck (Red Simpson)
10. I Won't Decorate Your Christmas Tree (Loretta Lynn)
11. Merry Christmas Baby (Bellrays)
12. Merry Christmas From The Family (Robert Earl Keen)
13. Senor Santa Claus (Jim Reeves)
14. Santa Claus (Thee Headcoatees)
15. Six Tons of Toys (Dave Dudley)
16. A Real Live Doll (The Trashmen)
17. I Want My Baby For Christmas (Jimmy Liggins)
18. Dig That Crazy Santa Claus (Oscar McLollie)
19. Hard Candy Christmas (Dolly Parton)
20. They Shined Up Rudolph's Nose (Johnny Horton)
21. Christmas Time's A Comin' (Jerry Reed)
22. Holly and Her Mistletoe (Jim Lauderdale)
23. The Rocking Tree (Marguerite Trina)
24. Santa Claus Got Stuck In My Chimney (Ella Fitzgerald)
25. I'm Gonna Tell Santa On You (Faron Young)
26. Santa Claus (Sonny Boy Williamson)
27. Gonna Wrap My Heart In Ribbons (Hank Thompson)
A Big Rock Happy Hour Christmas (mp3)
Please support your local, independent stores this Yuletide/Solstice/etc. season! Otherwise...the Man has won!