Thursday, December 11, 2008
Hee Haw Ho Ho
Something, something, North Pole...Something, something, North Pole.
Free song request to whoever correctly identifies that reference.
It's two week 'til Shane MacGowan's and Jesus's birthday. And we've got all your Holiday needs covered right here.
This may be the greatest Christmas post ever, and never let it be said we're not afraid of a little hyperbole. We have a re-post request of such magnitude, it's gonna take us days to honor, so gird your loins.
But first, we've decided that, for today, at least, Boxcar Willie's "Hee Haw Honey" is our number one, very most favoritest Christmas song of all time. It features the immortal line: "I want a Hee Haw Honey or a Playboy Bunny, under my Christmas tree." And it gets better from there, with a special request for Santa.
But we can't let the Holiday hoedown rest with just that fine tune, oh no. It's the season for excess. So we've also got Dale Watson weighing in with a boot-scootin' "Honky Tonk Christmas". And fiddle king and devil slayer Charlie Daniels just wants to get back to Dixie for the Holidays, dammit.
Now for that re-post. Last year we did a series of mixes featuring many of the songs we've posted over the several years of Holiday whoop dee dos. And we had a visitor request that we re-gift 'em. And we thought, well, why the hell not? So for the next 5 days, our re-post special will be mixes, mixes, mixes. But grab 'em quick, cuz they'll be available for a bandwidth busting limited time only. Please enjoy responsibly.
Fezzes Navy David!
Boxcar Willie: Hee Haw Honey (mp3)
Dale Watson: Honky Tonk Christmas (mp3)
Charlie Daniels: Christmas Time In Dixie (mp3)
Super Double Extra Great Re-Post (By Request!):
A Big Rock Candy Cane Xmas (mp3 link follows track listing)
1. Christmas Spirit (The Wailers)
2. Don't Believe In Christmas (The Sonics)
3. Reindeer Boogie (Hank Snow)
4. Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus (Pee Wee King)
5. I'll Be Your Santa Baby (Rufus Thomas)
6. Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas (The Staple Singers)
7. Santa Came Home Drunk (Clyde Lasley)
8. Beatnik's Wish (Patsy Raye)
9. Deck 5 (Saturday's Children)
10. We Free Kings (Roland Kirk)
11. Merry Christmas (Lightnin' Hopkins)
12. Christmas Day (Detroit Junior)
13. Feliz Navi Dada (El Vez)
14. Old Man Spivey's Egg Nog (The Dalheart Imperials)
15. Christmas Carols By The Old Corral (Tex Ritter)
16. Santa Santa Santa (Gene Autry)
17. Santa Got A DWI (Sherwin Linton)
18. Santa Stole My Whiskey (The Rimshots)
19. The Mistletoe and Me (Isaac Hayes)
20. Xmas In Nevada (The Willard Grant Conspiracy)
21. Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis (Neko Case does Tom Waits)
22. I Wish I Was Santa Claus (Merle Haggard)
23. Please Come Home For Christmas (Little Junior)
24. Christmas Past (Mike Ireland)
25. Christmas Eve Can Kill You (The Everley Brothers)
26. What Do The Lonely Do At Christmas (The Emotions)
27. Go Tell It On The Mountain (The Blind Boys Of Alabama w/Tom Waits)
A Big Rock Candy Cane Xmas (mp3)
Support your Santa...jingle his bells.