Thursday, December 09, 2004


space

And now, for something completely different.

I used to be a huge fan of the 4AD label. Anything they'd put out, I'd obsessively collect, from the Throwing Muses and Pixies, to This Mortal Coil and today's guest. Quite a bit of that music has worn thin on me over the years, particularly as I've searched out the more...errr...rustic side of music. Elizabeth Fraser has that kind of voice. Like Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Mary Margaret O'Hara, little Mikey Stipe, and Tom Waits, her voice becomes an instrument, sometimes to the point where she would not write lyrics for a song, she'd just sing made up words. It worked. Still does. I still pull out the Cocteau Twins now and again. It's still some of the most beautiful, ethereal stuff I've heard. For your enjoyment.

Cocteau Twins: Frosty the Snowman (mp3)

Cocteau Twins: Winter Wonderland (mp3)

(YouSendItFiles...click on song...download from there)


2 comments:

C. said...

Daleks!

howard said...

I've got the same Christmas CD somewhere - although I think I got it for the wife at the time. When I tried to sell my Miss America on ebay not one person put in a bid - I was really surprised. btw. check the two dollar pistols tracks at lonesome - they're so great I almost want a stetson.